The Blackening Process: Insta-Blak Z-360
For the longest-lasting, deepest, and cleanest black finishes, we recommend the following blackening process. Please read all safety data sheets and technical data sheets prior to beginning a project.
Soils such as cutting oils, coolants, lubricants, and rust inhibitors must be removed from the metal workpiece. Soils can inhibit the blackening process and negatively affect coating adhesion and appearance. Thoroughly clean and degrease the parts prior to beginning the blackening process.
Recommended Cleaning Products:
- E-Kleen 163 is a non-caustic and non-silicated phosphate cleaner for zamac alloys. It's a 7-step process.
- E-Kleen 154 is a one-step cleaner and deoxidizer for oil-free zamac and a 5-step process for zinc parts.
- E-Kleen 153 allows users to soak clean or electro clean metal parts with a single product. It's part of a 7-step process.
After cleaning the metal parts, rinse them in cold, overflowing tap water; it’s necessary to rinse the parts to remove residual cleaning solution. Parts carrying over un-rinsed film of alkaline cleaning solution would quickly contaminate the subsequent chemicals in use, resulting in a spotty or non-adherent black finish.
Immerse the parts to be blackened for 30–60 seconds.
Activate/deoxidize the parts at room temperature in a solution of acetic acid, sulfuric acid, or E-Kleen 154. See technical data sheet for more specific instructions.
Rinse the parts to be blackened for 30–60 seconds.
Immerse the parts in a 1:9 solution of Insta-Blak Z-360 and water until a deep black finish develops, approximately 2–5 minutes.
If Insta-Blak Z-360 isn't quite what you’re looking for, consider these similar products:
Rinse in cold, overflowing tap water for 30–60 seconds to remove residual blackening solution and ensure sealant will not be contaminated.
Seal the black-oxide finish by immersing the still-wet parts in a corrosion-inhibiting, rust-preventative, and water-displacing solution. E-Tec corrosion inhibitors are formulated to rapidly displace the residual acidic solution from the preceding rinse and produce long-term corrosion protection. As the E-Tec is absorbed, it enhances the depth of black, which may take several hours.
Recommended Sealing Products:
- E-Tec 510 is a non-solvent, water-soluble oil that results in a slightly oily finish.
- E-Laq 525 provides a hard, dry, and corrosion-resistant finish.
- E-Tec 504 is a solvent-based, water-displacing oil.